This snow is deep

I have never seen snow this deep in London. I had to push the Brompton through thick snow down the hill and walk to the main road where the it was clear because the council had been gritting the road. Previously they would also salt the side roads, particularly those roads like mine which are hills. I will be sending an email to Greenwich Council tomorrow.

I can’t use the Trek bike because I just can’t get it down the stairs outside my house. Too much snow. Even if you clear it it just comes back.

There wasn’t much traffic because people can’t move their cars. I managed to get to north London and back with the help of the Docklands Light Railway and the Jubilee Line. I am getting used to it. But the worry is that the slush will turn to ice on the ground.

I am very grateful for the Brompton. I can still get around to work and get things done. I will be getting out the pannier tomorrow so I can do my supermarket shopping. I will be crossing my (sore) fingers for Saturday as I have a drawing class at the British Museum to get to.

Comments

Leslie said…
You're brave! The main roads in Hackney are gritted, but even so, there is still plenty of slippery ice, and no side-roads have been cleared. I was carrying my Brompton more than riding it, so it's staying home till the snow clears. Do take care.
Olha Pryymak said…
yes, hope you are all right. I am busing around, the snow is not something I'd want to take on.
Cycling in Heels said…
I decided against cycling in the end and used the car on Friday but I was back on the Brompton on Saturday as the snow is thawing around here.
Anonymous said…
Be careful, even though Central London is one of our more cycle-friendly cities,

Take care around bends, command a lot of space (assertive cycling), and refrain from using that front brake. Icy conditions warrants a hyper-cautious cycling style.
I'm using my secret weapon.

http://picasaweb.google.com/weefoldingbike/Trike#5473772072791579858

I used it all last week too.
Cycling in Heels said…
What a wonderful bike! It looks perfect for bad weather and hills.
Elizabeth said…
I need to sent a email the council to clean the cycle path
Cycling in Heels said…
All the cycle paths were iced over in my borough, even the ones next to bus lanes so I was forced to cycle with the rest of the traffic. Luckily the roads are clear now. Pavements are still icy so it is easier to cycle than walk.