The Brompton goes to the shops

This is a photo of my Brompton in the changing room of Marks & Spencer. (I was trying on a dress.) I didn’t bring my lock today so of course I had to bring the bike into the shops. When I was in a crowded lift at John Lewis department store a woman asked the usual question of how heavy the Brompton was and asked me if she could pick it up to test it which I obliged. ‘ Ooh, not that portable’ she said. I said there are lighter ones if she wanted to pay extra. When I left the lift I pushed the bike along the ground on the Eazy wheels and behind me I could hear the woman go ‘Ooh’ again to her friend. Earlier when I was at the London Graphic Centre the security guard offered to watch the bike for me so I didn’t have to carry it upstairs and when I was in ‘Accessorize’ opposite John Lewis the staff showed me to the staff lift because I needed to go downstairs. Staff in small shops are often very helpful about watching the bike while I shop. I can only think of one occasion at Cass Art in Islington when I asked to leave the bike at the counter and they said no. Having said that in the tiny branch of Cass Art on Charing Cross Road last week a member of staff saw me carrying the bike and took it from me. She carried it too saying she would leave it at the counter.

Carrying a lock is a hassle but I sometimes find it easier to leave the Brompton in one place while I shop.

Comments

Olha Pryymak said…
yes, shopping with it is the worst when you need to pop into a few places on one trip. I am just not comfortable at all with leaving mine locked up someplace after it was stolen once already (at night from the hallway of my building). Do you have a particular lock to recommend?
The only time I've ever had any resistance was an over night bus from Victoria to Glasgow in 2001. That was because I didn't have a proper Brompton bag at the time and had it inside a black bin bag. Even so the driver took it on board after a wee grumble.
Cycling in Heels said…
Someone else has asked me about locks so I will do a post. Did you get back your bike or did you have to get a new one?
Anonymous said…
Nice people there in England !