The joy of travelling by train


I had to go to another meeting in Peckham but this time I used the train for part of the journey. All possible with the Oyster Travel Card that is available to Londoners. It is a prepaid card that you tap on a sensor so that it registers your journey and charges you accordingly. It has been around for a while and was very handy for one off journeys on the bus and tube (subway), but you couldn’t use it for one off trips on the rail network. That is until two weeks ago when the ticket sensors went on line at all rail stations. For me it means I can either cycle to Lewisham from Greenwich or jump on a train for £1.20.

I used the Trek bike today but I forgot how heavy it is to carry a full size bike up and down the stairs of a train station. I don’t have this problem with the Brompton which I can now happily carry around if I am not wearing heels.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hope you're not giving up on the Brommie.
Cycling in Heels said…
No chance. I was on the Brompton yesterday and I will be using it to get across London for rest of the week.
Erik Sandblom said…
If the train station has an escalator you can take the bike on that. Just hold the brake.

Love your blog and shoes! Bromptons are great, I have one myself!