Ortlieb Zip City


I’ve been using this bag for a week. I ordered it in July and it finally arrived at Velorution. Ortlieb do a range of two tone colours but I got it in white because I need it to be seen and it is waterproof. I initially wasn’t happy with it but I am getting used to it. It does not have any inner pockets like my trusty Timbuk2 bag and no handy key ring on a ribbon so you aren’t hunting in the bag for keys. Even worse it does have a back strap that anchors the bag to stop sliding but for some weird reason Ortlieb have decided that you need to permanently anchor this strap to the bag (you have to unscrew a button and place the strap and then replace the button. On Timbuk2 there are a number of D rings around the bag which allow you to decide where you want to place this strap and you are able to remove it when you don’t need it and prevent a dangling extra.

I am working around the lack of pockets by just using my own zip pockets to hold what I need. In it’s favour It is tough, the right size and it looks good.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How did you get on with this bag in the end? I like the look and durability, but am put off by the lack of pockets. My other choice would be the Knog Pig Dog.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/luggage/courier-bag/product/pig-dog-35076
Suede Shoe said…
Thanks for the link and comment. I’ve looked at the ‘Pig Dog’ and it looks like it would carry my Brompton. A little too big for me and it only comes in black.

I used the Zip City throughout the winter alongside the Timbuk2. I didn’t miss the extra pockets but not having the strap to hold it in place was a nuisance at times. No problems keeping out the rain though. I think it worked because of the white colour. This reflected light and I could see everything inside the bag because of the white material.