Being sick


I have been ill since Sunday. The small muscle spasm in my back that didn’t stop me from cycling on Saturday came back with a headache on Sunday, migraine on Monday, back to back pain and throbbing headache on Tuesday. After more paracetamol the headache ebbed away by the afternoon. The muscle spasm is still there and I am off the bike. Even walking is painful. All I can do is try to find a comfortable way to lie down and sleep when I can. It’s Wednesday and I am still in pain. I couldn’t wait to get home to get into bed again. At Charing Cross Station I saw a woman with a S type Brompton bike on her way home by train. She had added bits to the ends of the handle bars but as I was struggling to walk I couldn’t catch up to ask her about her customisation.

The thing about being sick or unwell is that you feel that it will never end and you quickly forget ever being well and active. When you get better you feel wonderful again and you promise that you will do all the right things to stay well but you don’t. But learning to cycle has given me a degree of fitness and agility that I didn’t expect to have. Not being able to cycle to hard but I have my little Brompton to look forward to and I can’t wait to get better. (The pain will pass, the pain will pass.)

Comments